Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #15

Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

First of all, I loved the YouTube video! I am giving a workshop this summer on K-20 learners and I think I will use this to show that our students today have quite different learning styles that those we have seen in the past...very good video!

In reading the articles on Web 2.0, I find myself a bit overwhelmed. I love technology and feel like I am a pretty frequent user and what I don't know, I strive to learn (hence, this venture). But there is so much coming at us all of the time that it feels very difficult to keep up. We have purchased our first ebooks and now I am not quite sure what to do with them. With stimulus money, our school is buying Ipods...now we have to think of how to use them and what policies to put in place, etc. I work with high school kids and they are so techno savy, I find myself peeking over their shoulders to learn the latest things! Don't get me wrong, this has to be one of the most exciting times to be a librarian! It's just getting myself, the tech department, the principal, the teachers and the students on the same page to embrace these changes and what the library can do for them. I loved the comment this section began with-"reworking the library services to meet users in their space". That will be my goal...now off to achieve it!

2 comments:

  1. I think a major challenge with this whole library 2.0 is that we are having to drag a whole bunch of other people along into this too. If it was just us I think we would be just fine. It's the prinicpals and teachers that we are having to coordinate with that is causing many problems. I also worry about the digital divide. It's great to teach kids to use these tools but if they don't have access at home or even consistently at school there is a danger of becoming irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with April. This is what concerns me the most: the digital divide, and the digital divide with teachers. Some teachers do not LIKE technology and refuse to use it. If we could all embrace it like they did television a long time ago it would be great! : )

    ReplyDelete