Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing # 20

YouTube, TeacherTube and Zamzar


I am a huge fan of YouTube and have spent a lot of time looking at a variety of videos...and my own personal kids are total YouTube junkies. I have always had great frustration in a school setting trying to use YouTube and embedding into PowerPoint presentations. It is blocked for our students but I could log in and then save the video and help them embed..quite a lengthy process. I loved Zamzar-it literally took 1 minute to convert the video into a format I could put into this blog-wonderful!! I will certainly be using this in the upcoming school year.

I know that there is always controversy surrounding allowing YouTube to be available in schools-we begged and begged and were finally given teacher access last year. There are some wonderful short clips that really can enhance a lesson. We were able to bring up a short video on lightening and sports for our Sports Medicine class. It was very valuable information for our students who are most certainly visual learners.

Enjoy the video from PBS on the Jane Austen series that aired a couple of years ago. I'm a huge fan!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had read your comment last night, before I spent several hours trying to download some sample commercials for a summer school lesson on persuasive writing. Our new district filter blocks the sites that worked just fine a week ago. I'm glad to know there are other ways and I'm looking forward to getting to this "thing" to learn how to do it.

    ReplyDelete